Monday, November 5, 2007

My life as an artist

It’s impossible to fully explain the transformation that has occurred in my attitude about painting. Was it a serendipitous alignment of the stars? Maybe. Being married to someone who not only gets what I do (which isn’t THE most important thing) but he is my biggest fan. He also is my technical support in every way. He cuts the masonite, frames my work and photographs the finished pieces. He’s game to trying our hand at gallery wraps and made the most awesome drying racks.  He set up this site and he goes all over the place taking pictures and scouting out other artists. He gives me constructive criticism and he never complains about the hours I spend thinking about painting, painting, and then thinking about what I just painted.

Let’s see, he also folds laundry, buys groceries, cooks and brings me numerous glasses of wine. Is that all? Probably not. I owe him so much.

My goal all along has been to paint and like the result. I want to hang my work in our home and not have to make any excuses. Other things may come of it, but my personal satisfaction is the deal maker ...or breaker.

I am energized and confident. I know I am in the process. There is no end. You just continue to do and as you do, if your mind is engaged, you will learn and you will move forward.

 

I hope to post a new painting 4-5 days a week, depending on my progress.  Here's a tie portrait I did for our friend, Carl, who just retired.  It's called "Relic of the Past" and is not for sale.  4"x6" oil on gessoed masonite.

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

WOW! That looks GREAT! SOOOO much better on canvas than around my neck ! Cosmo